500g stewing steak, cubed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200g baby onions/shallots, peeled and left whole
150g rindless back bacon, chopped
50ml tomato puree
5ml each dried oregano and dried rosemary (or about 15ml of fresh)
Pepper to taste (you won't need salt - there's enough in the bacon)
200ml red wine (or beef stock if you're teetotal)
285g can of creamed mushrooms
- Coat meat in flour.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and brown meat.
- Add garlic, onions and bacon and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, herbs, pepper and wine and simmer uncovered until the sauce has reduced by half, stirring occasionally. This will probably take about an hour.
- Place meat mixture in ovenproof casserole dish, pour creamed mushrooms over.
- Stir gently, cover and bake until the meat is tender (about 35-40 minutes).
- Serve with rice and a lovely leafy salad (or some veg, if you prefer).