70g raw rice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Pinch mixed herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
Large cabbage (you won't need the whole thing, but you need the larger leaves on the outside)
175ml red wine
15ml golden syrup/honey
- Boil the rice in water with a little salt until cooked.
- Add mince, eggs and seasonings. Mix together.
- Boil or steam whole cabbage leaves until softish and pliable.
- Place one heaped tablespoon of filling into the centre of each cabbage leaf. Fold in the sides, and roll the cabbage leaf.
- Brown the rolls in a little oil in a frying pan.
- Place in a casserole dish.
- In the pan, mix the little bits and bobs left behind from the rolls with the flour, syrup and red wine. Add a little water.
- Pour over the rolls in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 1.5-2 hours.
- Thicken sauce with cornflour if necessary and add a little cream (optional... and decadent).
- Serve with boiled potatoes.