Monday 21 February 2011

No-bake chocolate 'cookies'

I've had this recipe since I was in primary school in the 70s! I think I got it from a recipe book compiled to raise funds for some or other initiative. I used to make these cookies quite often (unsupervised) when I was a child. I also used to try to make toffee, which was less successful. It used to drive my mother crazy when she came home from work to find complete chaos in the kitchen. How I didn't burn down the block of flats (apartments), I have no idea!

Ingredients
500ml sugar
110g margarine or butter
250ml dessicated coconut
125ml cocoa powder
125ml milk
750ml rolled oats
5ml vanilla extract

Method
  • In a large saucepan, boil together the sugar, butter/marg, coconut, cocoa and milk for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  • Cool slightly and then stir in the oats and vanilla. Mix well.
  • Now you have two choices:
  • Option 1: press into a shallow baking tray, cut into squares and leave to set.
  • Option 2: (the messy version) roll tablespoon sized portions into balls in your hands and roll them in coconut (not included in the ingredient list), before placing them on wax-proof paper to set.
I used to go with option 2 as a child, but I tend to go with option 1 these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment