I was first given this recipe by a colleague in the mid 80s.
1 pkt Hobnobs, Nice biscuits or ginger nuts (or, if you live in South Africa, Tennis biscuits), crushed
60g butter or margarine at room temperature
250ml whipping cream
250ml cream cheese
Small pinch salt
1 tin condensed milk
15ml lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime)
- Mix the butter and crushed biscuits.
- Press into a pie dish and refrigerate while making the filling.
- Add gelatin to water and heat gently until dissolved.
- Leave to cool, but not for too long, or it will set too much to be of use.
- Beat cream until almost stiff.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients (gelatine last of all). Do not use an electric beater to blend in the gelatine, or you will wind up with strings of goop in your cheesecake.
- Pour gently into crust.
- Refrigerate until set.