This recipe came from my mother-in-law. I make several batches of it every year to use as Christmas gifts, and often take it as a gift for the hosts when we are invited to someone's home for dinner. It makes a pleasant change from a bottle of wine or a bunch of chrisanths.
The recipe is for a single batch. I usually make a double batch at a time.
250ml blanched, flaked almonds (not the toasted kind)
2.5ml vanilla extract
Before you start, it's a good idea to spread a sheet of foil/baking parchment on the counter - you will need this later
- Heat the sugar, butter and almonds in a heavy based skillet/frying pan over a medium heat
- Stir constantly until sugar is golden and almonds are toasted
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla
- Spread onto a sheet of foil/baking parchment
- Sprinkle with salt to taste
- Leave to cool
- Break into clusters