This recipe came from my aunt. As with so many recipes that carry a country name in the title, it would probably be completely unfamiliar to any natives of that country. But that's what Shena calls the recipe, so that is its name. The fact that it appears under M in my indexed, handwritten recipe book is an indication of how young and 'iggerant' I was when I started compiling the book!
Oven temperature190C (reduce for fan-assisted ovens)
IngredientsChicken portions (I used a dozen drumsticks as you can see)
250ml tomato sauce
60ml vinegar (I use a cheap balsamic)
30ml Worcestershire sauce
1 large onion, finely chopped
Pinch salt to taste
|Ready for the oven|
- Pan fry the chicken portions until they are browned on all sides.
- Place in a casserole dish.
- Mix all remaining ingredients and spoon over the chicken.
- Cover (use foil if your dish doesn't have a lid) and bake at 190C for 90-120 minutes. If you'd like to brown the chicken on top, as I have done in the picture above, uncover for the last 20 minutes or so.
- If necessary, you can thicken the sauce using a little cornflour.
I serve this with rice and vegetables, but you go right ahead and find your own accompaniments.