With a wry smile, I realise that I am now one of those 'older ladies' passing on my recipes...
Ingredients500g minced beef
125g bacon, diced
250ml raw rice
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
Garlic to taste, chopped
1/2 beef stock cube (or your preferred equivalent)
salt and pepper to taste
5ml mixed herbs
125ml tomato sauce (ketchup)
750ml boiling water
A little oil (about 15ml)
|Serve with a dollop of sour cream|
- Fry the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add bacon and fry lightly until almost done.
- Stir in rice.
- Add mince and stir until browned and crumbly.
- Add tomatoes and green pepper.Stir until softened.
- Season with herbs, stock, tomato sauce and seasoning.
- Place in casserole dish and pour on boiling water.
- Cover and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the liquid has mostly been absorbed.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream (optional) and perhaps a leafy green salad.
Note:If you double this recipe, don't double the water - increase it by only half (1125ml/1.125l)