Friday 24 June 2011

Bean and olive salad


Since it's the weekend (yayyy!!), and we're (finally) promised some decent weather here in the UK (I'll believe that when I see it!), I thought I'd do a salad recipe today. This is a recipe I cut out of a magazine donkey's years ago and have adapted.

This should be made up in advance, because it needs time to chill. Don't we all?

Ingredients
45ml olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
250ml cooked haricot beans
30ml Balsamic vinegar (I'm sure you could use 'ordinary' vinegar - I'm just a fan of Balsamic)
15ml tomato puree
12 olives, stoned and halved
45ml chopped fresh herbs - I used a mixture of chives, mint and coriander leaves. I'd say the chives are fairly important, but experiment for yourself.

Method
  • Heat oil over a low heat in a heavy-bottomed pan, and saute the onion and garlic lightly.
  • Cover and allow to 'sweat' for a couple of minutes.
  • Uncover and add beans, vinegar, tomato puree and olives. Stir for a further couple of minutes.
  • Remove from heat and stir in herbs.
  • Chill before serving.
Notes
You could turn this into a main course by adding a tin of tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment