Tuesday 14 June 2011

Chicken and sesame stirfry

I don't know about you, but I am mad-keen on the food at Wagamama. Unfortunately, on the last two occasions I visited my nearest branch, the service was iffy at best. On one occasion, it was so bad, that my husband called the manager over to complain... whereupon he (the manager, not my husband, although it was a close run thing) became belligerent and argumentative. Needless to say, my husband simply will not go back. I have since visited other branches and found the service to be of a better standard.

But I digress...

This dish has a flavour combination that reminds me of some Wagamama dishes. It's based on one that I downloaded from somewhere (Tesco diets, I think). It uses chicken breast fillets, but these are so ludicrously expensive in the UK, that I often substitute turkey breast.

Ingredients
2 large skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced into thin strips
1 tablespoon honey
Juice of 1 lime
2 kaffir lime leaves (optional), finely shredded
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (you can toast these yourself, if you can't buy toasted ones)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
5cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
225g broccoli florets
2 large carrots (you may notice from the picture that I threw in a courgette, too)
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed
250g noodles
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Method
  • Mix together the olive oil, ginger, lime leaves (if using) and garlic in a bowl.
  • Add the chicken strips, toss to mix and set aside until needed.
  • Blanch the the broccoli florets as follows: place them in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to stand for 1 minute. Drain, refresh under cold, running water and drain well.
  • Cut carrots into matchstick strips (you may notice from the picture that I was lazy on this!)
  • Cut the spring onions in half lengthwise and then again crosswise.
  • Heat a wok or a large frying pan and then add the chicken and stirfry for 2 minutes.
  • Add the carrots, onions and broccoli and just a little water. Cover with a lid and steam for about 5 minutes (make sure chicken is cooked through).
  • Cook the noodles as per instructions on the packaging.
  • Mix together teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and honey.
  • Drain the noodles and add to the chicken.
  • Add the liquid mixture.
  • Toss well until everything is evenly distributed and hot.
  • Sprinkle sesame seedds over the top. Serve.
On the occasion when the photo was taken, I used quinoa instead of noodles, just for a change. It worked. Of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment