Friday 10 June 2011

Lime and coconut tart


Some time back, the Kitchen Crusader shared (on her 365 project), a photo of a tart she'd enjoyed at Sayers in Perth, Australia. I liked the sound of it and started scrounging for a recipe (as you do). The only one I found, which purports to be a hack of the tart enjoyed by the Kitchen Crusader, calls for a mere 16 eggs.

That struck me as being a little on the expensive side for the likes of you and me. However, I have supplied the link to said recipe, just in case you're feeling extravagant. For the rest of us, I set out to create a cheaper alternative. And this is what I came up with. I tested it on friends and neighbours and they all declared this it deeeee-licious. I hope you enjoy it, too.

Oven temperature
180C

Ingredients
Macaroon crust
250ml caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
500ml dessicated coconut
4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded (see note below for further info and alternatives)

Filling
500ml sugar
125g butter
Juice of 2 limes and one lemon
Grated zest of 1 lime
4 eggs

Method
Let's get that crust underway first:
  • Beat egg yolks and sugar together until thick and pale.
  • In a different bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
  • Fold the beaten whites into the yolks.
  • Gently fold in the coconut and lime leaves.
  • Line a springform cake pan with baking paper, including the sides (this is important, because, if you don't, the crust will stick like the dickens).
  • Spoon the mixture into the cake pan and spread it across the bottom and up the sides. If you can't get it to go up the sides, don't panic. I had one that worked and one that didn't and they tasted just the same!
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden then set aside to cool.
Sprinkle with caster sugar if you like
While the crust is cooling, we can make the lime butter:
  • Combine the sugar, butter, juices and rind in a saucepan.
  • Slowly bring to the boil, stirring all the while.
  • Beat the eggs and stir into the mixture until it thickens.
Final stretch:
  •  When the crust and curd are both cool, gently spoon the curd into the crust.
  • If you're concerned about it being too sharp, sprinkle the top with caster sugar.
  • Slice and top with whipped or clotted cream to serve with coffee.
Notes about kaffir lime leaves:
Confession time - it was hugely difficult for me to reach the point where I was able to name that ingredient in my recipe, because of the connotations of 'the k-word' for a South African of my vintage. However, I have decided to get over myself in the interests of culinary delight.

Kaffir lime leaves
Kaffir limes are different from 'normal' limes. The leaves come in two parts: a leaf blade and a flattened leaf stalk which looks like a second leaf.

Dried kaffir lime leaves are widely available in supermarkets in the herbs and spices aisle. However, do not use those - the are yucky! If you are at all able to do so, get fresh ones (my husband swings by a Thai place in London and buys me a bunch for the princely sum of 99p). Whatever you don't use in this recipe can be used in all manner of other dishes - especially curries.

They are also available online. But, if you don't fancy that idea, rather substitute the grated zest of 3 limes. You'll get a closer approximation of the flavour than with the dried leaves. Scout's honour.

2 comments:

  1. great! I'll have to scan you my lime brulee recipe...
    This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kitchen Crusader You will indeed. Anything lime is a hit with me. I have a bunch of the leaves in my fridge at the moment, and I breathe in the heavenly aroma every time I open the door. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete