Saturday 14 May 2011

Citrus fruit cake filling

No photo today.

About a week ago, I baked a chocolate cake, and decided to try something a little different between the two layers. Since I love chocolate and orange together, I made this really simple orange filling using a recipe out of my trusty Cook and Enjoy it (Kook en Geniet). It's a bit like a curd (which I also adore), only it doesn't have eggs in it. I made a little too much, and had masses left over, which I have been eating on my toast every morning since then. Just yum!

It occurred to me that you could do exactly the same thing with lemons or limes, and I have every intention of trying it with lime very soon because, as you know if you're a regular reader, I'm deeply passionate about limes, and I'm thinking that a lime version of this filling between two layers, with coconut icing on top would be a highly respectable treatment for a sponge cake to get!

Ingredients
250ml sugar
2.5ml salt
60ml cornflour
250ml orange (or lemon or lime or a blend thereof) juice
Grated zest of one orange (or lemon or lime)
15ml lemon juice
45ml butter

Method
  • Place the salt, sugar and cornflour together in a saucepan and gradually stir in the orange juice.
  • Stir over a medium heat until the mixture becomes glossy and thick.
  • Remove from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well.
  • Allow to cool completely before spreading on the cake or it will sink in to the sponge rather than forming a filling between your layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment