I use a breadmaker to make these, but you can use pretty much any bread recipe and pick it up at the point where we shape it into balls.
|Balls that will fit in your hand|
Ingredients500ml bread flour
7.5ml fast acting dried yeast
250ml lukewarm water
Oil for deep frying
- Pour the water into the breadmaker pan.
- Add the dry ingredients, yeast last of all.
- Set your breadmaker to the 'dough' setting and start.
- With wet hands, shape the dough into balls that fit easily into the palm of your hand.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan - you don't need more than about an inch deep or so, the dough will float on top of the oil anyway. Don't use a high heat, or the vetkoek won't cook through.
- Pack the dough balls fairly closely together in the oil. Fry them for about 5 minutes until they're golden brown (roughly doughnut coloured).
- Flip them over and cook on the other side.
- Take them out of the oil and place them on a cooling rack with paper towel underneath.
- They're best eaten while still fairly hot. They're delicious with cheese and apricot jam (yes, together - be adventurous!) or with curried mince.
Roughly doughnut coloured