Tuesday 22 March 2011

Carrot and lime soup


There's something I should confess to right here and now: I am a lime addict. I absolutely adore the taste of limes and am inclined to use them instead of lemons in pretty much any recipe. So, when I stumbled across this recipe, it was a have-to-have.

The recipe itself is one of those 'unknown origin' types, which I found somewhere when looking for ideas to use up a large quantity of carrots after I accidentally bought carrots twice in two days (as you do).

The taste of this soup is a little unusual. I would describe it as hot-and-sour, and I would advise against serving it to owners of conservative palates.

Ingredients
1 large onion, chopped
Little olive oil for frying
500g carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
75g uncooked brown rice
1 or 2 red chillies (to taste), seeded and chopped
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
Juice of 1 lime
A little sugar and salt (if necessary, and to taste) - I use about 10ml sugar and no salt
Natural yoghurt for serving
Zhoozh it in the blender

Method
  • Heat a little olive oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions. 
  • Add the garlic and carrots, stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
  • Stir in the raw rice, chillies and stock and simmer until the carrots are tender and the rice is soft.
  • Add the lime juice. Taste and adjust with sugar and/or salt if necessary.
  • Blend and serve with a swirl of natural yoghurt and crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment