Of course, I have no idea how 'real' Turkish delight is made, but this will do very nicely, thank you. Just remember that the flavouring should be light and delicate: more aroma than taste.
Ingredients1750ml (seven and a half cups) sugar
575ml cold water
Juice of 2 lemons
5ml lemon essence
20 ml rose water or orange blossom water
Few drops red or orange food colouring (optional)
- Soak the gelatine in the cold water in a large saucepan for about half an hour.
- Add sugar and lemon juice and bring to the boil while stirring.
- Boil for 8 minutes without stirring - this is important!
- Remove from the heat and stir in the essence and colouring. The hot mixture may react fairly violently when you add the liquid, which is why you need the large saucepan! You might choose to divide the mixture and add different essences to each portion.
- Pour into a wet, square dish.
- Leave in a cool place for at least 12 hours.
- Mix equal quantities of icing sugar and cornflour and sprinkle a little over the set mixture.
- Cut into squares, remove each square and toss them one by one in the sugar/cornflour mixture. This is a really sticky process!
- Pack in an airtight container.