This recipe was given to me by the pastor's wife at a church I last attended when I was expecting my 19-year-old son, so it goes back a way.
It's quite fiddly in the beginning, so feel free to find an alternative source for the cooked chicken pieces.
Ingredients1 cooked chicken
2 large onions, chopped
500ml chicken stock
500ml plain yoghurt
1 can creamed mushrooms
250g fresh mushrooms, sliced
250ml frozen peas
125ml cream (optional)
Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
A little oil for frying
- Skin and debone the chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces (this is the fiddly bit I mentioned earlier).
- Fry the onion and mushrooms until the onions are soft and translucent. I use a large saucepan for this stage, so that I don't wind up using more than one cooking vessel.
- Add all the other ingredients and bring to the boil (except the cream, if you're using that), stirring frequently.
- Simmer very gently for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Stir in the cream (if you're using it).
- If necessary, thicken the sauce with cornflour.
- Normally served with rice and a leafy salad.